When I was growing up, we always tried to have a few activities to do around Halloween. One of our favorites was playing Halloween Bingo, principally because a) it doesn’t take that much time to do and b) it is a good way to work off a sugar rush or settle down after a day of trick or treating.
What You’ll Need
- one bingo card per player
- one of those lovely plastic pumpkins, to draw words from
- one person willing to call words
- tokens to mark words — I find stickers and candy work well, if you can prevent people from eating them
- about 10-15 minutes to play, depending on how many kids you have and how fast you call words
How To Make Halloween Bingo Cards
I’m sort of the Internet’s expert on the subject of weird and wacky bingo games you could play. If you’re just looking for a few cards, you can try this set of eight word bingo cards which I made for you. Otherwise, you should probably try Bingo Card Creator and whip some up yourself — it will only take a minute or two.
The cards look like this:
How To Play Halloween Bingo
- Print up a call list (a list which contains all the words for the bingo game).
- Cut the call list into strips with one word per strip, and put the strips in your plastic pumpkin. (You could just read from the list in order, but where is the spooky magic in that?)
- Print out your bingo cards and cut them up, giving one to each player.
- Reach into your magic pumpkin and draw a word. Say it out loud, and have people mark it on their cards with a sticker or piece of candy. (No eating allowed!)
- When a player reaches 5 words all in one row, or in one column, or on the diagonal, they should stand up and say “Bingo!” This means that they win. I like to give out a little prize like the first candied apple, or maybe the first crack at taking a chunk out of the family pumpkin if your children are already swimming in sugar.
Did You Enjoy Halloween Bingo?
Bingo Card Creator is useful for all sorts of fun and educational bingo games. You can use its free trial to create up to 8 cards per activity. If you want to keep up on what the latest and greatest seasonal bingo cards are (we release more every month), just copy/paste the following onto your blog or website, and it will keep you and your readers informed about our most popular bingo activities. (And they’re free, to boot!)